Equal Employment Opportunities
Hawai’i Tokai International College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hawai’i Tokai International College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hawai’i Tokai International College expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hawai’i Tokai International College’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Position: Library & Learning Center Coordinator
Under the general supervision of the Head Librarian, the Library and Learning Center (LLC) Coordinator assists with the daily operations of the Library and Learning Center. The LLC Coordinator assists students, faculty, and staff in locating print and non-print library resources; performs ready reference and circulation duties; and provides technical assistance with the hardware and software in the library (e.g., printers, photocopiers, and various computer applications). In addition, the LLC Coordinator will oversee the tutor program.
- Assists with overseeing the daily operations and facilities of the LLC.
- Enforces LLC policies and procedures.
- Administers copyright compliance.
- Assures accessibility of resources to the HTIC community.
- Provides direct supervision to LLC tutors (interviewing/hiring, performance evaluations, etc.) in compliance with Hawaii Tokai International College policies and procedures.
- Assists with evaluating information resources for patron needs and LLC goals.
- Assists with assessing the products and services of the LLC.
- Assists students, faculty, and staff with all circulation functions.
- Assists library patrons with research questions.
- Provides instructional sessions for individuals and groups on LLC resources.
- Maintains and preserves the collection of library materials.
- Catalogs library materials using appropriate classification scheme.
- Distributes promotional information.
- Assists in coordinating the development and application of the LLC technology.
- Trains users and LLC personnel in the use of new technology and provides documentation, manuals and guides.
- Assists in tutoring students, as needed.
- Participates in administrative and/or academic committees and meetings.
- Performs related duties as assigned by the Head Librarian and/or the Dean of Instruction.
- Sunday-Friday, 12:00 p.m.-9 p.m. (start and end-times varies)
- Oversees the tutoring program. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Hawaii Tokai International College’s policies and applicable laws
- Responsibilities include but not limited to: interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university; or four years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required education, knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated.
- Knowledge of standard library operations and a broad knowledge of general reference resources.
- Working knowledge of word processing, database management, spreadsheets, and Internet searching.
- Strong communication, problem solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be detail-oriented and accurate in performing duties.
- Meticulous organization and time management skills.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Prior working experience in an academic library.
- Prior experience working with international students.
- Working knowledge of the Library of Congress Classification System.
- Working knowledge of various digital resources, such as Credo, online Encyclopedia Britannica, Opposing Viewpoints, and EBSCOHost.
- Strong understanding of grammar and writing.
- Experience in teaching second language learners.
Physical and Cognitive Requirements:
- Frequently lifts, carries, or otherwise moves and positions objects weighting 10 to 50 lbs.
- Frequently bends, kneels, crouches, and reaches for books on shelves.
- Frequently is required to use hands and fingers.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods.
- Able to talk and hear.
- Ability to focus on detailed and repetitive tasks.
- Ability to read a computer screen, operate a computer terminal, various office/classroom equipment, and communicate by phone.
- Interpret written data (text and numeric).
- Synthesize information from multiple sources.
- Interpret written or verbal instructions.
- Analytical – synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Customer Service – Responds promptly to student needs; responds to requests for service and assistance; manages difficult or emotional student situations; solicits student feedback to improve service.
- Job Knowledge – competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
- Use of Technology – demonstrates required skills; adapts to new technologies; uses technology to increase productivity; keeps technical skills up to date.
- Communications – express ideas and thoughts verbally in English; express ideas and thoughts in written form in English; able to read and interpret written information and write clearly and informatively in English.
- Position Description: LLC Coordinator 11/2016
- Problem Solving – identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problems solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Conflict Resolution – Encourages open communication; maintains objectivity; keeps emotions under control; uses negotiation skills to resolve conflicts.
- Organizational Support – follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values.
- Dependability – follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments.
- Performance Coaching – defines responsibilities and expectations; sets goals and objectives; gives performance feedback; motivates for increased results; recognizes contributions; encourages training and development.
- Delegation – delegates work assignments; matches the responsibility to the person; gives authority to work independently; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; provides recognition for results.
- Judgment – Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Works in a modern, air-conditioned environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- This role uses standard office and classroom equipment, such as computers, audio/video equipment, phones, photocopiers, and fax machines.
Job Type: Full-time