DISCOVER EAST ASIAFill in the CONTACT US boxes below for more information today!
Discover East Asia (DEA) Study Abroad Program
HTIC is dedicated to helping students become multilingual, culturally aware and enlightened global citizens. This program serves as a gateway for students yearning to discover Eastern traditions for the first time or to deepen their understanding of East Asian cultures. DEA participants will have the opportunity to attend one of the following schools: Tokai University in Japan, Hanyang University in Korea or Shenzhen University in China.
- Complete two terms as a full-time student at Hawaii Tokai International College. (Students at the University of Hawaii–West Oahu are also eligible to apply. UHWO students should contact the HTIC Office of Student Services [OSS] for details.)
- Take at least one course in the appropriate language of the destination country.
- Complete 2-3 courses in East Asia-related studies (see academic advisors for list of courses).
- Be able to participate in DEA during the fall or spring term.
*Participants cannot choose a country in which he/she is a native speaker of the language.
- Tuition for the Discover East Asia program is the same as a full-time term at HTIC and should be paid to the HTIC Fiscal Office. HTIC will forward the tuition to the appropriate university on your behalf.
- The Gateway Scholarship / Global Citizen Scholarship is not available to students participating in the DEA program.
Travel & Housing
- Discover East Asia participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements to China, Japan or Korea. The price of the student’s ticket is not reflected in the tuition price.
- Participants are responsible for purchasing appropriate travel and health insurance to cover them the entire duration of their DEA program.
- Participants will be billed for residence hall rooms and housing-related costs by the institution that is hosting the student.
Passport & Visa Requirements
- Students must have a valid passport and visa in order to participate in DEA. HTIC and the student’s host institution will assist students in obtaining the appropriate visa for study. Please visit the OSS for more information.